4 Fun Ways to Increase Your Physical Activity
Physical activity—any movement requiring your body to burn energy—wins the healthy living award! Why? Because being physically active offers you so many benefits:
- lower fall risk
- better balance and joint mobility
- healthy body weight
- improved mood
- more restful sleep
- stronger bones
- reduced muscle loss
- more years of active living
- delay in cognitive decline. Generally, the more you move, the greater the health benefit.
Are you active enough? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that only about half of Americans get the amount of physical activity necessary to prevent chronic conditions like diabetes and heart disease. While the CDC recommends seniors aim for 150 minutes per week of movement that gets your heart beating faster, you can still benefit from less intense activity—and you may find over time that you’re able to do more as you gain strength. Try these four fun ways to get your body moving.
- Walking: Look for opportunities to add more walking to your day. Take a stroll with a friend (fur optional), take a nature hike, go shopping, or listen to music while walking on a treadmill.
- Dancing: If you enjoyed dancing in your younger years or always wanted to learn a particular style, now’s the time to do it. Dance is a great way to get moving while doing something that pleases you. Some dances are suitable for solo learners or invite a partner to join so you can both reap the rewards.
- Gardening: Tending to precious blooms and lush vegetation may be a soothing pastime, but all the bending, trimming, digging, and weeding can pay off for your body, too. In addition to increasing your heart rate, gardening offers numerous therapeutic advantages by promoting balance, functional movement, and a sense of peace, among other benefits.
- Tai chi: Much of this ancient martial art is about mental focus and balance, but it also builds muscle tone, improves flexibility, and promotes stronger bones. The movements are gentle enough for all ability levels, so it’s an easy way for a beginner to ease into getting more physical activity.
Springpoint Choice Helps You Embrace an Active Lifestyle
Join Springpoint Choice and take advantage of our award-winning LivWell program offerings, available at all of our Life Plan Communities. LivWell tailors programs to your interests, goals, and abilities. Contact our team today to learn more.